10.04.2011

Has it ALL been done before???

"There are no new ideas. There are only new ways of making them felt." ~ Audre Lorde

As a self-proclaimed movie buff, I really hate to see classics remade. Even worse, I hate to see a crappy movie redone! For years now, my kids and I have a running joke of adding "IN 3D!!!" at the end of cheesy looking movie previews. Unfortunately, it's not funny anymore because the film industry has decided that EVERYTHING needs to be in 3D these days. 


So is it true? HAS it all been done before? Are there no new ideas? If this is true, then what is the point of continued existence? 


Last night, my Girl Scouts were given the task of working together to create a "SitCom" skit. I guided them thru it, but only the mechanics, they had to do the creative work. I made some suggestions, but ultimately, THEY had to do the writing. Their skit turned out to be about three sisters who lived on an island and each had some sort of problem that the others helped them with. Was is brilliant? No, of course not! But did they work together to come up with something original that conveyed a message of teamwork? YES, THEY DID! 


So if three nine-year old girls can come up with something new, why can't the entertainment industry? I will NOT be giving George Lucas any more of my money to see a movie redone in 3D that was crap the first time around! I know he can't be all tapped out of new ideas, so why is he recycling garbage! 


Ok, I will put the soapbox away for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment