3.20.2008

DaVinci's Codex

I went to the Speed Museum today and saw the Medieval to Renaissance collection. It was pretty amazing. The best part was seeing one of Leonardo DaVinci's notebooks. There it was behind half an inch of Plexiglas. Hundreds of years ago a man wrote out his thoughts on physics, perspective and the world around him and still today he is considered one of the greatest minds of all time. It was surreal to say the least. To be that close to such a major part of not only art history, but world history.
I wonder if mine is the last generation to have any regard whatsoever for the past. I asked Hobbit if he'd ever heard of DaVinci and he said no, but when I showed him a photo of the Mona Lisa and the Vitruvian Man, he recognized the images. I explained that he was an artist, a scientist, and a thinker. Reminds me of Hobbit in fact. Hobbit wants to be a scientist and artist when he grows up, and he never stops thinking (or talking either for that matter).
What amazes me even more was that my art history professor says that he was never really impressed with DaVinci's artwork and that he didn't really do that much besides ol'Mona. So I googlie-googled and whatta ya know, he did quite a few amazing paintings. I personally am more impressed with his studies of anatomy and nature, but his paintings are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment