3.06.2012

Apathy

Wikipedia define Apathy as "a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concernexcitementmotivation and passion. An apathetic individual has an absence of interest in or concern about emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical and/or physical life. But contrary to this, an apathetic individual may take interest in emotional, social, spiritual, philosophical and/or physical life's attributes. Not necessarily to end that apathy but in order to find a deeper meaning to the existential meaning of being, part of which necessitates apathy, for we are by definition 'without meaning'."


A very dear friend of mine is busting her booty to do all she can to help out with the tornado recovery and this morning, she was very upset by the lack of effort and even lack of interest from so many who are fully capable of helping in some way. I don't really understand how anyone can sit by and just watch the suffering of others and not do anything. I can't really say that I was specifically "raised" to help others, but I know that I must have had this belief ingrained into my personality somewhere along the way. And it's etched so deeply in who I am, that I really can NOT comprehend not taking action. 


I've seen hundreds, perhaps thousands, of interactions between volunteers and people inquiring about donations and it just sickens me that there are still some who don't feel compelled to do their part. And then there are some who have been told that they are not needed and would just be "in the way". 


My friends family was directly affected by the destruction and she has been working very hard to help clear debris and salvage what can be saved. Even if you don't know someone who was displaced from their home, how can you just do nothing at all when an entire community close to you has been devastated? 


It's only 20 miles from where my son lives, to my mothers home. It's only 10 from son's to my niece's. Everyone that I know who is still living "back home" is within that range of distance. People are going hundreds of miles to help out and yet, there are far too many who are in neighboring communities who seem to be going out of their way to ignore the problem. 

2 comments:

  1. Part of the problem is the Red Cross (god bless them) isnt letting people come and help. You cant go up there with a chainsaw and some hammers and nails and say I want to help. You get turned away and told to get 'training'. The people who are willing to go up there and help have to go back to Jeff and wait for hours to 'learn' how to hammer and pick up stuff. I understand that they are trying to control a tough situation but they are making it harder for the people to get the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't expect everyone to show up and swing a hammer. There are PLENTY of other things that need to be done that don't require physical labor. Something as simple as collecting Box Tops can be done by those darling little Daisies :)

    I'm talking about those who are COMPLETELY ignoring the whole thing and act like it didn't even happen.

    ReplyDelete